The use of investigations/tests (such as X-rays, ultrasound scans and MRI scans) can be of great benefit to your patients, in assisting with diagnosis and further management decisions. Unfortunately, however, they are often over utilised, resulting in many negative consequences.
Negative consequences of over utilising Investigations include:
- Patients being exposed to high doses of radiation unnecessarily
- Increased costs without any clinical gains
- False reassurance from negative results
- Positive results not related to patients symptoms
- Extra demand on radiology departments
At Physiostation, we have had training from the Radiology department at Warrington General Hospital on the appropriate use of investigations including IR(ME)Regulations. Combining this with our high level of clinical reasoning, we can help ensure the right investigations are requested and that these are appropriate for the clinical condition. We can offer a guidance/support service for GP practices who feel this is an area which could benefit from improved efficiency.
To discuss this further please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Physiostation.